Sunday, November 20, 2005

Weekend of fun: Movies, popes and babies


So it's official: I'm a dork.

Mr. Pastel and I drove to San Antonio Friday to go see the movie "Al Otro Lado," which was featured as part of the Guadalupe Arts Center's Cinefestival. The only problem was that it was this "Al Otro Lado" and not the one I thought. DUH! The trip was not a waste, though. The documentary was totally kick-ass and we enjoyed it greatly. It deals with immigration, drug trafficking and music. It is absolutely thought-provoking and sweet.* We also had a chance to meet the filmaker, Natalia Aldama. She was there with another filmaker** to answer questions from the audience.

On Saturday we went to check out the exhibit "Saint Peter and the Vatican: The Legacy of the Popes." A move I was about to regret as soon as we entered. The reason: Onionheads! They were everywhere! Mr. Pastel calmed me down by telling me that if anybody was going to attend a pope exhibit it had to be little old Mexican ladies taking their sweet time looking and reading, and looking again, and reading again. Hey! What about little MIDDLE-AGED Mexican ladies, who want to take their sweet time looking and reading?! The exhibit was very interesting, although it's totally biased and free of controversy.

And it is also long. I didn't know how long it was until I started feeling lightheaded from hunger. Luckily for me, I had gotten a not-so-thorough security person who was checking for cameras and cell phones, but not for food. I was in the middle of the "other worlds" segment of the exhibit when I decided to go for it and fish some M&Ms out of my purse. I was keeping an eye on who I thought was the security person and another lady who was trying to do the same thing I was doing (although I think she was eating crackers). I ate two. No problem. But when I grabbed a couple more and pushed it by sharing a couple with Mr. Pastel, I got caught. Pastel gave me this panicky look as if telling me: ABORT! ABORT! Pastelito, whose common sense is much greater than mine, promptly decided to cover for me by pulling a kleenex out of his pocket pretending I had handed it to him. It actually worked, although I still got the evil eye. I, in return, gave the evil eye to the lady with the crackers. }:(

My favorite part of the exibit was Pope John Paul II's technicolor dream coat and hat (I know it's not called a hat, but I already forgot the word) he used to usher in the 2000 Jubilee in 1999. The cape is out of this galaxy. I think this is what popes from the future will be wearing once we take the party over to the moon. This, and the tiara Napoleon gave some other pope. This gold tiara is totally covered in precious stones our little emperor had previously stolen from the Vatican, including this giagantor of an emerald. Oh, and either Napoleon was an ass or the pope was a pinhead because apparently the tiara did not fit. (I think we all know the answer to that).

So even though I was starving, there was no more time to waste in San Antonio, since we had to make it to the Holiday Market in Austin to advance our Christmas shopping. Traffic was brutal, but we actually made it. And it was a good thing, not only because of the shopping, but because we got a chance to see our cool friends from Shanti Bua. And not only are they doing great, but they are also PREGNANT!

Six months already (which luckily for her only look like three). I did notice something was afoot when I first saw her, but I've learned my lesson. Even if the lady is eight-and-a-half months pregnant and about to explode, I keep my mouth shut. She knew we were full of shit when we acted all surprised when she told us, but hey, we know better. I used a very scientific method to confirm the sex of the baby: If the belly looks pointy like a watermelon it is a boy, if it looks like a lifesaver, than it is a girl. She once again knew I was full of shit, but I guessed right. Watermelon belly=boy. Right on! They are now on their way to Massachusetts for Thanksgiving, but they promised to keep us posted about the baby. We are expecting a very cool name for this baby since he's coming from such cool people. But, hey, no pressure.

After shopping we went down to Hill's Cafe for dinner, where Mr. Pastel had the best chicken-fried steak he's ever had in Austin (his words, not mine), and I fell in love with fried pickles (Really? Really!) But what did you expect from the home of the sizzler?

The weekend of fun ended with a lazy Sunday, even though we wanted to go to the East Austin Studio Tour and to catch "In Cold Blood" at the Paramount. But I guess there is such a thing as too much fun. Next weekend: Harry Potter, a short trip to Houston and TURKEY! (the bird, not the country. And not necessarily in that order).

*The movie will be part of the 2006 POV lineup on PBS, so make sure to catch it.
** Aldama is on the right, next to Venus Soberanes, director of "The Moon's Pyramid."

No comments: