Thursday, November 17, 2005

"No, I'm all right ..."


I'm a little late with this, but hey, he's a little late too.

C'mon, it's just a joke.

Anyway, I'd have to hand over my geek membership card (laminated!) if I didn't mention the passing of William Hootkins, a character actor probably best remembered as "Red Six" - also known as "the fat guy who blows up attacking the Death Star" - in the original "Star Wars." I didn't know this, but the character's name was Jek Porkins, which is unfortunate.

I also didn't know that Hootkins popped up in a bunch of movies from the nerd's must-see list. In addition to Red Six, he also played Munson (Zarkov's lab assistant) in "Flash Gordon," Major Eaton in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (he's one of the government guys telling Indy about the Ark in the beginning of the movie), and the slimey bad-cop Eckhardt in "Batman." If he'd somehow managed to get himself in one of the "Lord of the Rings" movies, we'd be building his monument right now.

In honor of Hootkins, who died of pancreatic cancer Oct. 23, 2005, , here are some quotes from his most memorable roles. Oh, and apparently he was big in England, too.

Red Six: I got a problem here.
Biggs: Eject!
Red Six: I can hold it.
Biggs: Pull up!
Red Six: No, I'm all right... ahhh!
[Porkin's fighter explodes in a ball of fire]

[Munson refuses to go aboard Zarkov's space ship]
Doctor Hans Zarkov: I swear, Munson, I'll shoot!
Munson: Get shot or go up in that thing? What's the difference?
Doctor Hans Zarkov: This way, you'll be giving your life to save the Earth! Haven't you any spirit at all?
Munson: NO!

[looking at an old picture of the Ark]
Colonel Musgrove: Now, what's that supposed to be coming out of there?
Indiana: Lightning. Fire. The power of God or something.
Major Eaton: I'm beginning to understand Hitler's interest in this.

Knox: You know what they say? They say he can't be killed. They say he drinks blood. They say...
Eckhardt: And I say... you're full of shit, Knox. Oh, uh, you can quote me on that.

No comments: