Friday, June 02, 2006

Favorite Panel Friday: The Quickening


Something occured to me the other day: Anybody reading this might think that since this regular feature highlights my favorite panel of the week, it must come from my favorite book of the week.

Er ... not necessarily.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. If you go by past entries, I can see how someone would figure me for a spandex-fan. And I am. But I read a lot of indie and small press stuff, too. The problem is that, for the most part, those types of comics don't really have the panels that give you geekbumps. I've read some comics recently that were great from start to finish, things that are way up on my "gotta read this" list, but while they're solid on all levels, that doesn't mean they have any one panel that jumps out at you. That's just the nature of most "indies."

And now I'm going to totally contradict everything I just said.

Local # 5 is the latest issue in a series that gets better and better with each go 'round. Part day-in-the-life, part travelogue, the slow-motion storytelling of Local is heartbreaking and hopeful, broken and powerful, often all at the same time. If you haven't been reading it, go out and get the back issues while you still can.

In this panel, Megan is being confronted by a woman whose young son was hit on by Beth, an employee at the local movie theater. The mother doesn't know it, but Megan is Beth. And at the moment, she's calling herself Alex. Throughout the story, she'll use a handful of different names, without any explanation or obvious reason.

Things have happened to Megan, and it's had an effect on her.

And I love that you can see it all right there on her face.

Local #5: Writer, Brian Wood; Artist, Ryan Kelly

4 comments:

Eric said...

Ryan is aging hers SO well. Thanks for the spoiler troublemaker ;-p Just kidding. I knew what I was getting into but couldn't wait to read your post anyway. Local is really turning into something so so sweet. I will miss it when they stop at issue 12 (Megan will be 30 right?).

Nel Pastel said...

Oops. Um ... "spoiler alert?"

Actually, that wasn't much of a spoiler. Everything comes to a head right after that, but for the most part it's just a single incident re-emphasizing what's already happened and setting everything up for what comes next. Believe me, it's still going to blow you away.

In this case, my favorite panel did come from the best book of the week.

I'm not sure about the age, but that sounds right.

Eric said...

Man I could have sworn it was you I had this discussion with. Sometimes I think I'm losing my mind...anyway, from what I understand she was 18 in the first one and they are doing 12 issues and each issue takes place in the next year in her life, and she is living in a different city...

It really wasn't all that spoilery at all, I'm just a big purist weenie!

Big T said...

Agua pasa por my casa
Cate de mi corazón...
Qué es?