Wednesday, October 29, 2008

We voted for Barack Obama


Back in the car, driving away from the polling station, Lopez started to cry a little.

We just cast our votes for Barack Obama for president, and it was an emotional moment for both of us. I teared up while I was waiting for my turn at the poll myself. It struck me that I'd always hoped to see the day when America would reach the point that a black man would have a real chance at being elected president, but I don't think I ever thought I would. Too many people have been too willfully ignorant for too long for me not to be cynical.

But the fact that we were able to vote for the candidate that will be best for the country and who just happens to be black speaks to the message of hope the Obama campaign has been pushing. Casting that vote is in itself an act of faith, faith in not just the candidate but also in the better nature of the American people. Hopefully that faith is not misplaced, and we can begin getting this country back on track.

But for now, I have never been prouder of the American democratic process, or of taking part in that process as a voter.

Be sure to get out there and vote, everybody: Be a part of the process, be a part of something bigger than yourself — be a part of history.

No comments: