Friday, September 22, 2006

Favorite Panel Friday is fashionably late


A super hero, some secret-agent talk and a SEVERED, FLAMING VAMPIRE HEAD!

That's a whole lot of comic goodness crammed into one panel, that's for sure. Union Jack #1 spins seamlessly out of the current Brubaker and Epting run on Captain America, seamlessly enough that I didn't realize it was a different creative team at first.

But that shouldn't take away from what writer Christios Gage and artist Mike Perkins are doing with this book. Union Jack nicely fits into the world being created over in Captain America, but expands on it and actually cements the concept of super-powered spy-guys. Political without being preachy, steadily built tension and rich, detailed artwork come together for a first issue that makes you eager for the second.

Union Jack #1: Writer, Christios Gage; Artist, Mike Perkins


BONUS PANEL!



For a "regular feature," the ol' FPF has been pretty irregular lately. Usually, if I'm falling behind in getting a panel up here I'll just shrug and pretend to be busy wrestling bears or writing peace treaties. This time, though, I didn't want to let last week's Wasteland #3 slip by without a mention.

Man, this comic keeps getting better with each issue. The story is a familiar post-apocalyptic-Thunderdome-Dune kind of thing, but it'd be a mistake to dismiss it as unoriginal. There is a definite sense of a larger story, and you can tell a deep history has already been thought out; nothing happens without reason. The art is simple but detailed, and almost stunning in some panels. Restrained use of Photoshop gives the whole thing a cinematic look that really works. Wasteland is an epic in the making.

Get on board with the first issue, free and online!

Wastland #3: Writer, Antony Johnston; Artist, Chris Mitten

6 comments:

Eric said...

FPF double-doozy! About to start Union Jack right this very minute! Wasteland gets better with each issue and started out pretty damned good. LOOK at the art in both of those panels too, great choices (of course, you ARE THE afficionado de comix).

Nel Pastel said...

I just hated to let Wasteland slip by - it really has grabbed me. Thanks again for turning me on to it in the first place!

Anonymous said...

Wasteland blows. I feel like I've seen it a million times before. Yawn.

Nel Pastel said...

You're insane! The artwork is great and there's an actual story building up. I'm with you when you say it looks like something you've seen a million times (because that's what I thought when I read the first couple of issues, too), but it's developing a depth of its own.

You're just mad 'cause there isn't an "X" in the title (heh).

Anonymous said...

No "X" in Wonderland! You people seem to think I read a lot more X titles than I do. =P

The dialogue... the world... the story... just nothing new there. I get that there building to the story with this special land but, eh, I'm just not feeling it. I can't make myself care about any of the characters. I rate it lame!

Nel Pastel said...

Sigh ... so young, so out of her mind ...