Tuesday, January 17, 2006

2x4

I'm bored.

Not just at the moment, I mean chronically bored. Bored, bored, bored. Or maybe it's just laziness, because mostly I'm bored with work.

And I don't mean bored with the job or work I have now. I've got plenty to do, and there are new things to learn on a regular basis. I'm basically bored with the concept of working for a living. I'm an Xer, not a member of the Greatest Generation Ever in the Whole History of Ever; I don't want to work in one place until retirement and then do woodworking and crack in the garage. No sir. I want to pack everything and everyone into a Winnebago named Gertrude and go places and eat roadhouse pancakes. The crack is optional.

Is that really so much to ask?

I know Lopez is feeling the itch, too. We're just now getting to a place where we're not paying off the income tax for our freelancing work, which is a relief, so of course we're talking about starting another business of our own again. Thank Jabba we're too lazy to come up with a business plan, or we'd be in trouble.

Hell, now I'm talking myself into it. Why shouldn't we be able to just take off and do something different? Isn't that what it's all about?

Maybe I just need some pancakes.

7 comments:

Lopez! said...

I can't promise pancakes ... but how does a trip to the post office sound? We'll go crazy, buying stamps left and right, getting in a conga line (not really a conga line, but close). Whattcha say, Pastelin, are down with it?

Nel Pastel said...

Ha! The funny thing is, I can't tell if you're making fun of me or not.

Can we buy stamps from the machine? I like to press the buttons!!

Big T said...

Man, remember when we worked our assess off at the newspaper for a bunch of incompetent manegerial types? We were all too tired to get bored.

I'm so busy at work, at a job that's either going to lead to champagne and caviar or diet Coke and corn dogs. Plus my editor wants re-writes on my book by the end of the month. Plus, I'm still trying to get the screenwriting thing going. And, oh yeah, my girl and I have been talking about starting a family...

I wish I had the time to be bored. I have to schedule a few hours for that.

The last few years in LA have been...interesting. I miss my family, of course, but I also miss you guys, that I do. I remember fondly all the times we spent at the all-night dinners, just sitting around eating pie and bitching about the day. And the Magic tournaments we played till 4 in the morning. Or even just trying to figure out the kernel of logic in Lopez's rants.

I hope you're both doing well, I think about you here and again.

Remember, there's no such thing as being bored. There's only being boring. And as far as stamps, I suggest you get something from the camel family.

Nel Pastel said...

What the?!? Man, I think we're going to have to give you a call to sort all that out. We knew about the writing and we figured the new job was keeping you busy, but starting a family? You can't just drop that in without some 'splaining, buddy.

It's funny, but we talked about the same thing (being busy, not gettin' busy). I think it was a combination of being too busy to be bored and having the good luck to work with people we really, really liked. We miss you guys, too. We have some friends, but it's really not the same.

And like I said, I've got plenty to do at work, and I've got ideas for things to keep me busy. I think I'm just going through one of those phases where it's difficult to kick-start any motivation, y'know? I'll get over it.

By the way, Lopez's rants are still logic-free. Logic is for suckers, right bebé?

Nel Pastel said...

And I still haven't gotten any pancakes! What's a brother gotta do to get some flapjacks around here?!?

Eric said...

Fuck it! Let's take out ridiculously large small business loans and start a hard-core RPG shop! HARD-CORE!

I'm SOOO BORED even when totally busy, swamped busy, crazy missing deadlines but working like mad busy. Man that place just sucks the soul out of you the second you walk in the door. "Come on, Pookie, let's burn this motherfucker down!"

Eric said...

Hmmmm I might should have hyphenated my adjectives up there "large small business" just doesn't make any sense at all. How about "large small-business loans?"