Saturday, October 15, 2005

The rules of Reggaeton


For the last couple of months I have been kind of obssesed with Los Rabanes' music and for the most part everything Caribbean sounding that you could think of (Los Pericos, Orishas and whatnot). All within the Rock en EspaƱol category, of course (Hey! I'm still civilized).* So, on my last visit to El Paso, my brother asks me if I'm into Reggaeton. Well, yes, I said, I like Los Rabanes. Well, it was as if he had asked "Are you into heavy rock?" and I had said, "Yes, I like Creed" (This by the way, just happened to us at a party. And no, it wasn't us answering). So unbeknownst to me, and while you were sleeping, my brother was named the friggin' rule master of Reggaeton. These are his rules.

You are Reggaeton only if:

• You are from Puerto Rico
Rabanes are from Panama.

• Your video is played on Mun2
I watched about 14 staight hours of that friggin' channel and not one single Rabanes. I however learned all the lyrics to "La Camisa Negra" by Juanes (oh, and finally saw the video for "Me Convierto en Marciano" by Molotov.)

• You can do the bump 'n grind to your music
Well, no, but you can do the Macarena to "Otra Noche Mas"

• He has to fucking know who you are
Which means only Daddy Yankee and Don Omar are Reggaeton. =)


update: I totally found Orishas' "A Lo Cubano" at Half Price Books. I rock!

No comments: