Wednesday, January 02, 2008

I hate memes ... but try this one

You might not have noticed, but me and Lopez! tend to avoid all that meme, quizes, "tag-you're-it" bullshit, but I couldn't resist it this time. This was fun and let me flex some creative muscles I don't get to use all that often. It's not the sort of thing that you can just click your way through, which was something else I liked about it.

OK, so here's what you do:

1. Go to Wikipedia and hit "random." The first random Wikipedia article you get is the name of your band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random


2 - Go to random quotations: The last four words of the very last quote of the page is the title of your first album.

http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3


3 - Go to Flickr and click on "Explore the last seven days." Go to the third picture in the queue and, no matter what it is, it will be the image for your album cover. I'm guessing you guys know how to grab images from the Web.

http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days/


4 - Use Photoshop or something similar to put it all together.

I'd really like to see what you guys come up with so if you end up making one, drop a link in the comments so you can share with the class.

For my contribution, I like to think Gøncruszka is a jangly Euronoise band from somewhere in Finland or Norway, with traces of its early black metal days slipping in now and then on the album To Attack Our Civilization.

16 comments:

Eric said...

Technically the first article on mine was The Hits (Ladysmith Black Mombazo) but that is just lame so I truncated the real band name from it. What the hell though, what if I had just gotten Ladysmith back on the random Wiki article? Or like Toto or some horrid shit like that? Seems faulty. Anywhere here is the outcome you were so desperate for eh:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2054/2159612904_b0e04d84e2_o.jpg
Yours was much more engaging. Mine was a lame powerpop trio from Rotterdam that got one number-five hit off the title track of their first and only recording. The drummer now owns and operates a junk yard. The bassist has a seat on the board of the WTO. The singer/songwriter/guitarist has retreated to his family cabin on the shores of a vast frozen lake and hasn't been seen for years.

Eric said...

Gorram blogger makin' me link my own gorram links. Donnae they ken I am too lazy for this nonsense?
The Hits - Who He Should Be

Nel Pastel said...

Man, that's a cool image! I'd give that band a listen.

And I bet the group will get back together and release a "Junkyard Sessions" album.

Eric said...

Well, the photo was taken in the woods of Sven's lakeside estate and Bjorn laid out the cover in the software he co-wrote (but somehow finagled full rights out of his partner) that made him his first million when they sold to Adobe who, at the time, was trying to remove potential competition from the market for their then-nascent tool called "Pagemaker." Lars has a 5'x5' cube comprised completely of the "cassingles" of the title track that he managed to salvage from various thrift shops around the world and then compress into the cube using the car compactor at his yard.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking an alt-country act generating some positive buzz from its work on a recent soundtrack for a pseudo-indie coming-of-age flick.

Battle of Fort Pulaski's "Never Love a Stranger"

Eric said...

Nice Kyle! Great work, you really did capture that feel on the cover.

Nel Pastel said...

Kyle, you magnificent bastard — I can almost hear that band! While I'm at it; how perfect a name is Battle of Fort Pulaski?

Anonymous said...

I am new at this Internet thing so be patient:

Jewel, New York
Everyone Has Talent

and (I swear I'm not making this up)

a picture of the Popocatépetl volcano in Mexico. I couldn't get it 'cause I'm new at this Internet thing.

This is Lopez! by the way. I forgot my password =(

Nel Pastel said...

LOPEZ! LOPEZ!LOPEZ!!LOPEZ!!!! Yay!!

Anonymous said...

This isn't the original picture I found, the first one didn't save right. But this one's awesomer anyway!

Lady Blue - Changing a Single Idea

Nel Pastel said...

Damn you and your awesome ways! That looks pretty swanky.

Fred said...

Man - the first step threw me off. I went directy to an existing band:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PARCHHAIN


I'll try this again later.

Kyle - you are a magnificent bastard. That looks like a cross between an indie band and a scene from an Asian horror movie.

Nel Pastel said...

Gah - I was wondering how long it would take for that to happen. But I hope you try again, Fred; I was surprised how much I got into it.

Hm. I should probably update one of these days, huh?

Anonymous said...

Fred: Thanks. I actually hadn't even been thinking about Asian horror movies, but you're right, all it needs is Sarah Michelle Gellar in the U.S. remake.

And that sounds like a helluva band you stumbled across. "The rich variance of spectrum in PARCHHAIN’s offering can be compared only to the vivacity of colors offered by Mother Nature." You think maybe they wrote their own entry?

Nel: Have I ever told you that calling you Nel makes me think of "Gimme A Break"? That Nell sure was sassy ... and Sam was hawwwwwt.

Nel Pastel said...

I live my life according to the teachings of The Nell, sassy be her name.

And dude - name-checking "Gimme A Break?" Sam?!?

Very nice. Bastard.

Anonymous said...

I tried this again after my first band and got the name "Peabody Energy". I thought it sounded awesome but I never did end up doing the whole cover making experience. Still - awesome name.